Saturday, 5 October 2013

Paranormal That Is Extreme.

If I had to put my finger on a single word that encompasses the essence of Morven and Zest it would have to be -  Extreme!
 The Concise  MacQuarie Dictionary describes  extreme as: being of a character or kind furthest removed from the ordinary or average. Which pretty much sums up my two paranormal people.
Morven Smith is definitely unconventional. And Zest even more so. Zest lives his whole life on the very margins of society. The rules don't mean much to him. Morven's experience is different, of course, having been adopted into a middle class urban family. Outwardly their worlds are very different. So, I needed  a sphere that not only brought them together but would also give them an outlet for their extreme natures. Something accessible and something outside the box.  The answer, of course, was on a skateboard!
 If you look closely at the book cover, you can see  Morven's skateboard. She feels kind of  undressed without it!
I don't think anyone would argue that skateboarding is an extreme sport.  Skateboarding is a culture that evolved as a no rules, free thinking art form as much as a sport. Skateboarding, I discovered, is predominantly a youth movement and the culture boasts a powerful streak of rebellion. A concept that both Zest and Morven can absolutely relate to. It's definitely dangerous and it's street. It seems a perfect fit.  A wonderful expression of youths desire for freedom. May skaters fly forever. Especially paranormal ones!


7 comments:

  1. Great blog and your page looks wonderful...gotta learn how to do that with the book covers! I so love the sound of this book and your descriptions are quite compelling. I am sure you will have Extreme sales :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna and welcome! Blogs are fun. But, I must confess I've had a lot of help getting this up and running! Quite a learning curve. Publishing a book is a whole adventure all on its own, isn't it? Hope you're sales are Extreme too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Nas. Couldn't have done it without you!

      Delete
  3. An extreme paranormal sounds so cool! And all that lovely skating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly and welcome. Thanks for that, I like to think that Morven and Zest are ultra cool characters!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I see the skateboard wheel there at the bottom of the cover - nice touch.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Again, congrats on your latest release.

    ReplyDelete